Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Time

As we grow, time seems to take greater presence in our lives. We are no longer children, who play so carelessly as if there is no yesterday or tomorrow. Sometimes, time affects us when we await to hear from one who we deeply admire and cannot resist thinking about. Other times, it presents itself when we look towards the future and begin asking "when?": When will I become this and that? When will I find my love? When will I be free from the foolishness of my naive mind? And then, when we look it the mirror, it strikes us again, as we realize how far we've come, reminiscing the past, and think of how much more time has in store for us. It is surely a mystery, something which can never be grasped. But time is a stubborn thing. Going, going, going, all throughout eternity. For so often we long for the past or wish for brighter promises in the future that we are left to helplessly hope to be able to bargain with time.

As I have grown, I have learned that time is like the wind, and I am but a tiny sail drifting in the ocean. I cannot fight against the currents the wind makes, but I can try to adjust my sails to maneuver through it. But the feeling of loss and regret that I feel when it carries me away from the things I so desire, no matter how ferociously I bend my sails this way and that, will be something that I cannot escape. I can only bear it with patience, and await for fortune to show up on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment